Skip to main content

Fifteen Minutes a Day

The week between Christmas and New Year's found me moving books. Which, to be fair, is hardly unusual for me. This time, I was rearranging my library due to the new bookshelves I am building over the new flooring I just installed.

So I moved my complete set of Harvard Classics.

The Harvard Classics are a beautiful, leather-bound anthology of 50 volumes of world literature. My set (which I finally completed after scouring the Internet for two missing volumes) was published in 1959, the 51st printing of the series.

This anthology was born from an oft-stated belief of Harvard president Charles William Eliot. He said that all the elements of a liberal education could be obtained by spending 15 minutes a day reading from a collection of books that could fit on a five-foot shelf.

As it happens, I own a five-foot shelf housing the very collection that Dr. Eliot curated and published. And I have read hardly any of it.

Books have always provided me with discovery. This latest book move proved no different. Because it was then that I discovered the Harvard Classics Reading Guide titled Fifteen Minutes a Day. In that slim volume that I had never really noticed before, I found this explanation of the importance of reading the great literature of history:
We want something to carry us out of ourselves, to take us a million miles from our humdrum existence, to stimulate our minds to fresh endeavor, to give us a new viewpoint upon our problems, to enable us to get a fresh hold upon ourselves.
Sold.

And, with that, a New Year's Resolution was born. I begin the Great Liberal Education of 2018, in which I read the Harvard Classics for 15 minutes a day and document it on this blog. Each post will begin with the introduction written in the Reading Guide for that day's selection. I will include quotes that stood out to me and offer any analysis or insight that occurs to me. And hopefully, start a conversation.

Wanna join me?
The fountain of wisdom flows through books.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2. School-Day Poems of John Milton

At the age of sixteen, Milton first appeared before the public eye as a promising young poet. These early verses, written while he was a boy in school, indicate his brilliant future. Milton's Poems Vol. 4, pp. 7-18 I have a natural aversion to religious themes, which may be a partial explanation of my reluctance to read some of these classics. I have to keep reminding myself to read them within the framework of literature, not church. And I have to admit... Might as well do it now... I am not a great lover of poetry. I admire the talent and envy the creative gift. I would just rather be reading prose. But, I shall soldier on, as I know that this will not be the only reading assignment of poetry in this year-long project. This selection contains two poems written by Milton as a young student at Cambridge. The first is titled On the Morning of Christ's Nativity , written in 1629. And it is about exactly what the title promises, the crossing of the Atlantic by Columbus. J

1. Franklin's Advice for the New Year

"Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve"—was one of the rules for success framed by America's first "self-made" man. Franklin's Autobiography Vol. I, pp. 79-85 It's nice to know that even amazing men like Ben Franklin want to work on self-improvement. This excerpt from his autobiography begins with a list of thirteen virtues that Franklin wanted to work on during the year. It also outlined how he would record his progress. I made a little book, in which I allotted a page for each of the virtues. I rul’d each page with red ink, so as to have seven columns, one for each day of the week, marking each column with a letter for the day. That's right. Ol' Ben Franklin was bullet journaling way before the hipsters were. Franklin discusses the challenge he finds within the virtue of Order. In fact, he calls himself incorrigible when it comes to Order. I feel the same way about another of his virtues: